Friday, May 16, 2008

In Field & Town and In need of an update


Hayden - In Field & Town
Hardwood Records
Toronto, Ontario

This album came out in April, but I only had a chance to spend some time with it just recently. I came across Hayden Desser's music when I was 15 years old, cutting class to browse music at the CD store down the road. I picked up Everything I Long For (which I highly recommend), which was so incredibly honest and raw. Filled with meandering melancholy music, which became Hayden's trademark. Unfortunately the style and sounds of his records have become so trademark that his music is becoming increasingly stale. His one departure from his trademark sound was on his 1998 release of The Closer I get (which I also highly recommend). It was more electric and ambient. It actually was fantastic. Hayden is in desperate need of another departure from his trademark folk sound of acoustic guitar, harmonicas, peddling piano and brushes on snare drum. Although true Hayden fans will enjoy his mumbled ditties, I suggest you save your money for when Hayden tries something new out. Sorry Hayden, I love you buddy, but I expect more from you.

No comments: